Tactical Shotgun Instructor
April 9th – 13th of 2018
The shotgun is one of the most underutilized tools available to officers because their training has failed to instill confidence in their abilities and eliminate the hesitation they have towards firing the shotgun. This school begins with a focus on the fundamentals of both pump and semi-automatic shotguns, ammunition, combat firing techniques, and the shotgun as a multi-purpose launching platform. Advanced range work includes moving targets, firing on the move, multiple threats, decision-making, select loading, speed reloading techniques, transitioning to handgun, one-hand malfunction clearing, identifying threats and firing in reduced light conditions. Students design a tactical course of fire and are responsible for developing a lesson plan and running fellow students through their course at the end of the week.(Officers must have successfully completed a law enforcement firearm instructor school that included general methods of instruction prior to attending this school. This is an advanced tactical shooting instructor school, and is not to be considered a basic shooting or methods of firearm instruction school.) In addition to the above mentioned equipment, the following are ALSO necessary for this school:
- Duty-type, law enforcement 12 gauge pump or semi-auto police shotgun equipped with a sling
- 100 rounds of 12 gauge slug
- 100 rounds of 12 gauge 00 buckshot
- 500 rounds of birdshot (#6, #7½, #8 or #9)
- 100 rounds of duty or training handgun ammunition
The shotgun and buckshot must be capable of shooting a group no larger than 18 inches at 15 yards in order to pass the course.
Per NRA, here is the list of the EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:
The following equipment is REQUIRED and must be provided by the student for ALL firearm instructor development schools:
- Duty Handgun – A duty-type, law enforcement handgun.
- Magazines or Speedloader – If using a semi-automatic pistol, bring a minimum of 4 magazines, (5 if the magazine capacity is less than 10). If using a revolver, bring a minimum of 5 speed loaders.
- Holster, Belt, and Ammunition Carrier Pouches – The holster must be department or agency issue, duty-type (patrol), strong-side directional draw, equipped with a handgun retention device and securely fastened to the gun belt. Speedloader and/or magazine pouches must also be equipped with a retention device.
- Eye Protection, Ear Protection, and Baseball Style Cap – Safety glasses must be of the wrap around type or employ side panels. If wearing prescription glasses, they must be covered with safety glasses unless they meet the above requirements. Ear plugs or ear muffs (preferred), and a baseball cap with bill to deflect ejected brass must also be worn. NOTE: Students will NOT be allowed on the range without wraparound or side-panel safety glasses.
- Appropriate Clothing – Students should bring appropriate clothing to participate in the range exercises consistent with prevailing weather conditions. Range exercises will be conducted in inclement weather unless a safety hazard exists. NOTE: Shorts are NOT appropriate law enforcement range clothing.
- Duty Flashlight – Law enforcement, hand-held, duty-type flashlight capable of one-handed operation.
- Note-Taking Material – Pen, pencil, and paper to take notes with in the classroom and on the range. A jumbo permanent marker for use on the range.
- Cleaning Equipment – Appropriate cleaning equipment for the firearm being utilized at the school. NOTE: There is no time allotted during the school for the cleaning of firearms. Students will be expected to perform cleaning of their respective firearms on their own time.
- Knee and Elbow Pads – Knee and elbow pads are optional for kneeling and prone position shooting.
You can download the application here: nralefirearminstructordevschool
To view the schedule as well as all other course(s) and descriptions please follow this link to the NRA Law Enforcement website.
|Holiday Inn Express & Suites
10.3 Miles from Range
|Courtyard by Marriott
6.1 Miles from range
|Hampton Inn & Suites
6.1 Miles from Range